Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Yellow-legged Gull

I had to go to Limerick City today to collect equipment for a job planned for next week.  The premises I was visiting was right next to the Shannon River and near the old Salmon Weir across from King John's Island, so I got a chance to scan the gulls while passing that way.  I noticed this third-winter Yellow-legged Gull standing on the weir with Lesser Black-backed Gulls.  To be honest due to the paleness of the bare parts and dainty size, I had to contact Killian Mullarney for help and confirmation before coming to the conclusion that it was a Larus michahellis.  This is only the third Limerick record and all previous two birds have been found at this exact location.  The second record was a sub-adult found on the weir by Paul Troake on the 7th January 2011. I was lucky enough to find the first county record, an adult on this weir on 21st November 2008. 

Yellow-legged Gull Larus michahellis, Limerick City © John N Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment