Saturday, October 13, 2012

Spotted Sandpipers

A juvenile Spotted Sandpiper was found at Moyasta Creek, Poulnasherry Bay at approximately 15.40 by Tom Tarpey, Tony Mee and Gerry Butler.  I missed calls from these lads alerting me that the bird was at Moyasta. Due to bad phone coverage on the Bridges of Ross, where we were looking to relocate the Buff-breasted Sandpiper, I did not receive the news at the time.   It was only after getting back to my car that the voice mail came through where I made a quick call to Tom.  We (Finbarr MacGabhann and myself) immediately made our way to Moyasta.  When we got there we had two birds flitting about in the late evening light.  It turned out that both these birds were juvenile Spotted Sandpipers.  These are only the 4th and 5th County records.  The past three records were; one the Skivileen River, Doughmore, one adult Doonbeg Lough, one juvenile Kilbaha harbour and these juveniles at Moyasta.  A perfect end to a great day.

Two Spotted Sandpipers at Moyasta © John N Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment