Sunday, September 25, 2011

Mediterranean Gull

I had a fantastic days bird watching in west Clare yesterday 24th September 2011.  I first found a Semi-palmated Sandpiper at Seafield, in Quilty, before flushing a Buff-breasted Sandpiper off the beach at Quilty village.  Then I went on to Lough Donnell where there was a juvenile Black Tern.  Still trying to make it to Loop Head, I stopped at Doonbeg Lough where I found a Spotted Crake, only the third for Clare.  This delayed me for a couple of hours before news broke that a Pectoral Sandpiper was back in a flooded field near Quilty village.  I eventually got to Loop Head at 4.00pm after leaving the house that morning at 7.00am with the intension of birding for the day at Loop Head.  When I eventually got to Loop, two first-winter Mediterranean Gulls were in the harbour at Kilbaha, feeding with other gulls.  







No comments:

Post a Comment